Hunter the husky-mix woke up his owners after a gas burner was left on

Hunter the dog is more than just an adorable face.

Just two weeks after finding a forever home, the husky-mix puppy thanked his adoptive family by rescuing them right back.

The McLarty family, of the Detroit suburb of Grosse Pointe Woods, say they were awakened around midnight on March 5. Their new 3-month old dog, Hunter, was whining, and so puppy mom Jill McLarty simply thought he needed to go outside.

“She was surprised that Hunter simply sat outside and continued to whine,” read a statement from the Michigan Humane Society, according to CBS Detroit.

When Hunter returned to the family bedroom, the dog refused to let up, even as McLarty and her husband tried to sleep. Finally, she got up after the dog was anxiously running in circles.

The pup then led McLarty into the kitchen, where she discovered a gas burner from the stove had been left on – not enough to light it, but enough to emit dangerous fumes, which the family estimated had been escaping for the nearly six hours that passed since they had prepared dinner the night before.

“When she turned the light on, she saw Hunter sitting next to the stove and noticed that one of the gas stove burners was on low, without a flame,” the Humane Society said in a statement.

No surprise here: The dog’s family was grateful for their furry hero.

“He is the first dog we ever adopted [from the Michigan Humane Society], and I would recommend it to anybody,” proud puppy dad Tim McLarty said. “And as cliché as it sounds, the life you save may save yours.”