Quick Hits: Tell a Chimp a Joke; Plus: A Nursing Home for Pets?
These stories are worth a click
These stories are worth a click:
* There’s a new audience for banana peel pratfalls: researchers saw that other primates laugh, too. Gorillas, orangutans, chimps and bonobos all laugh–and are even ticklish.–Discovery
* The Soladi Care Home for Pets, which opened in June 2007 in Tochigi, Japan, allows Japanese pet owners to put senior pets in a “nursing home” for about $800 a month.–Petside
* A Las Vegas couple and their company are pleading guilty to charges related to the melamine tainted pet food that sickened and killed thousands of animals in 2007. The misdemeanor charges of introducing adulterated food into interstate commerce and mislabeling it and one felony count of fraud. – AP
* Prince Charles urges land owners to cull the gray squirrel, which is a transplant from North America. He claims gray squirrels harm hardwood forests and make them financially not viable.–Cryptozoology
* Anteaters are added to the list of animals susceptible to H1N1. We already knew horses, dogs, whales, seals, birds, cats, ferrets and raccoons could catch swine flu.–The Canadian Press