A fourth-grader named Zachary Shiley from western Pennsylvania has offered up his puppy to the Obamas. He thinks Vegas, the adorable black puppy born to the family’s 11-year-old Labradoodle and a Lab, would be a great companion for Sasha and Malia in the White House. Sadly, the puppy is not a rescue and almost certainly not hypoallergenic–two key criteria for the Obamas. But there’s plenty more for the First Family to choose from. People all over the world are offering up their puppies and full-grown dogs to serve as First Pup. Here’s a look at some of the offers:
* The Winnepeg Humane Society offered Labradoodles rescued from a puppy mill.
* A Canadian columnist seconded the offer as a diplomatic gift.
* A Wisconsin breeder would happily give them one of her Australian Labradoodles.
* British columnist Deborah Ross offered her own doodle, Monty.
* Claudia Galvez, director of the Friends of the Peruvian Hairless Dog Association, wants to give the President one of her bald puppies.
* Portugal has found a water dog and is willing to send it.
* The Price George’s County SPCA is pushing Sydney, a 7-month-old, housetrained Labradoodle pup.
* A Houston shelter faxed a picture of a Labradoodle to Washington.
* An Albany columnist proposed, Fathead, a mutt he rescued with an ingrown collar.
* A Michigan writer offered her hypoallergenic mutt.
* Hawaii Island Humane Society suggests a “poi dog.”
Which dog do YOU think the Obamas should have? Vote in our poll!