The canine, a male named Polo, was a 2-year-old American Staffordshire terrier-mix. The baby’s death has been ruled accidental.
Authorities say the dog was in bed with Sebastian Caban and the baby’s parents, who were watching TV, when the mother suddenly coughed. The noise startled the dog and it bit the baby in the head, ABC News reports.
The couple pulled the dog off the child, the report says, and the parents made two unsuccessful 911 calls before becoming frustrated and driving Sebastian to the hospital, where the newborn was pronounced dead.
“At this time, we’re looking at this as nothing more than a tragic accident,” Sgt. Tu Nguyen, of the San Diego Police Department’s Child Abuse Unit, told the Associated Press shortly after the child’s death.