The small child was playing in his Utah backyard when the incident took place
A 4-year-old Utah boy lost his right hand after it was bitten off by a neighbor’s husky Sunday afternoon.
In an attempt to play with the dog, the young child, whose name has not been released, put a sock over his arm and stuck it underneath the fence that separates his backyard from the neighbor’s yard where two huskies live, Layton City Police PIO Jason Cook tells PEOPLE.
The boy’s father, who was inside their home when the incident took place, dialed 911, telling police his son’s hand had been completely ripped off.
When authorities arrived on the scene, they found the father doing his best to comfort the small boy and stop the bleeding.
The child’s entire hand and 2 to 3 inches of his forearm were missing, Cook explained.
After assessing the boy’s injuries, a helicopter flew him to a hospital in Salt Lake City.
“[He] was a tough little boy, wasn’t even crying,” Cook tells PEOPLE. “He never even shed a tear in the helicopter.”
About 8-10 emergency responders were dispatched to find the boy’s hand in hopes of reattaching it, but their mission was unsuccessful.
Police believe the dog may have “ingested” the limb, Cook said.
RELATED: Florida Woman’s Arm Found Inside Alligator After She Disappeared While Walking Dogs
Shortly after arriving at the hospital, the little boy underwent surgery to patch up his limb. He is currently in stable condition and is surrounded by family, Cook said.
The boy’s injury came as a shock to the owner of the huskies as it was the dog’s “first bite incident,” Cook explained.
“The homeowner says that the dogs are docile pets that have never demonstrated any aggression.”
Although only one husky was involved, both dogs were taken by Davis County Animal Control, Fox 10 reported. The dogs have been quarantined.
At this time, authorities are determining whether or not the huskies will be put to sleep, Fox 10 reported.