Lifestyle Pets 5 Dangerous Valentine's Day Health Hazards for Pets Chocolate, wine and flowers are great Valentine's gifts for you, but not for your pet By Kelli Bender Kelli Bender Kelli Bender is the Pets Editor for PEOPLE Digital and PEOPLE magazine. She has been with the PEOPLE brand for more than eight years, working as a writer/producer across PEOPLE's Lifestyle, Features, and Entertainment verticals before taking on her current role. Kelli is also an editor on PEOPLE's Stories to Make You Smile and serves as an editorial lead on PEOPLE's World's Cutest Rescue Dog Contest and Pet Product Awards. Before joining PEOPLE, Kelli helped AOL and Whalerock launch a pet lifestyle site called PawNation. She is a pet parent to a cat named Wallace, and her professional and personal devotion to animals has taken her to three dog weddings ... so far. People Editorial Guidelines Published on February 14, 2017 04:37 PM Share Tweet Pin Email Photo: Jaime Staley/Getty Valentine’s Day is here, and if you have a pet, you already have the best Valentine around. To make sure their Feb. 14 is ideal, it is important to be aware of the dangerous effects common Valentine’s gifts can have on cats and dogs. You may love chocolate and wine, but your pet’s system certainly doesn’t. Make sure if you are indulging in any of the V-Day treats below that they stay out of your pet’s reach, so your day of love doesn’t end with an unromantic trip to the emergency animal hospital. Chocolate Lisa Kimberly/Getty As many dog owners know, chocolate is extremely toxic to canines. But it’s not only dogs who are affected, the caffeine and theobromine in chocolate is a danger to any pet. Ingestion of the sweet stuff can lead to nervous system and heart damage. If your pet does consume chocolate by accident, make sure to take them to the vet immediately. Alcohol Vstock/Getty Don’t share drinks with your furry best friend. Alcohol can be poisonous to pets, even in small doses. Save the red wine for you and your human beau. Flowers Holly Hildreth/Getty Numerous types of popular flowers are deadly to pets, especially cats. Lilies and tulips are the main offenders, but many other flowers can lead to vomiting, diarrhea and stomach irritation. Keep all bouquets out of reach. Candles RooM RF/Getty Never leave a flame unattended. It’s good advice for anyone, but especially for pet owners. Animals can easily burn themselves or cause fires by playing with candles that are left out to set the mood. Gift Wrap Vstock LLC/Sarah M. Golonka/Getty Pretty packaging can easily turn into an ugly problem if your pet accidentally ingests the ribbon on a gift. This sparkly stuff can cause obstructions in the intestines, which might require surgery to remove.