Ozzy Osbourne Cancels Shows to Recover from Pneumonia: He's 'Through the Worst' Says Sharon
"His doctors have advised that he stay at home to recuperate for a full six weeks with no travel," Sharon Osbourne added in a statement
The 70-year-old rock legend canceled shows in Australia, New Zealand and Japan to recover from his illness.
“Ozzy recently developed pneumonia and has spent some time in hospital,” wife Sharon Osbourne said in a statement. “Thankfully he is now through the worst part. His doctors have advised that he stay at home to recuperate for a full six weeks with no travel.”
Sharon, 68, shared a recent update on Ozzy’s health during an episode of The Talk on Feb. 12.
“He’s doing great,” she excitedly revealed to co-hosts Sheryl Underwood, Carrie Ann Inaba, Eve and Sara Gilbert.
“He’s out of ICU and he’s doing great. He’s breathing on his own,” Sharon said of her husband, prompting the audience to erupt in applause.
RELATED VIDEO: Jack Osbourne Reveals How Much Ozzy Disliked Filming ‘The Osbournes’
Sharon then went on to thank fans for their support.
“I just want to say a huge thank you to everybody that has reached out with good wishes. He is overcome by the response that he’s had, and it’s kind of bittersweet because he’s overwhelmed with it, but he’s sad too,” Sharon explained.
On Feb. 6, Sharon announced via Twitter that Ozzy “was admitted to hospital following some complications from the flu.”
The day prior, Osbourne announced he was postponing the first four dates of the tour due to his illness. However, when the “Crazy Train” singer paid his doctor a second visit, he was diagnosed with a severe upper-respiratory infection, the musician’s rep said in a statement at the time. Because of the toll touring takes on his body and his extensive travel schedule in severe winter conditions, the doctor feared the infection could develop into pneumonia.
“I’m completely devastated for having to postpone the European leg of my tour,” Osbourne said in a statement obtained by PEOPLE. “It just seems that since October everything I touch has turned to s—.”
“First the staph infection in my thumb and now coming down with the flu and bronchitis,” he continued, detailing exactly what he’s been suffering from. “I want to apologize to all of my fans who have been so loyal over the years, my band, my crew and to Judas Priest for letting you all down. However, I promise the tour with Judas Priest will be completed. It’s being rescheduled right now to start in September. Again, I apologize to everyone. God Bless. Love you all, Ozzy.”
In October, legendary rocker, who underwent hand surgery at Los Angeles’ Cedars-Sinai Medical Center earlier that month, recalled how he “freaked out” when he discovered his right hand had swelled up after contracting a potentially deadly staph infection — and his thumb was 10 times bigger than usual “the size of a f—in’ lightbulb.”
Describing his surgery, Osbourne remembered the “agony” of getting the flesh in his hand cleaned out. “I could hardly move. I really had no energy,” he said to Rolling Stone.
“They cut all this stuff out. Even with the numbing stuff, it was agony. It wasn’t pus, but it was the stage after pus, when it gets in the blood and goes in your body and f—ing kills you,” Osbourne told the outlet.
As for how he contracted the infections, Osbourne recalled how meeting his fans may have affected his health. “The doctor said to me, ‘Can you remember talking to someone and shaking hands?’ Well, I do that meet and greet at the gig and I must shake f—ing 200 hands a day. He said, ‘That explains it,'” he said to Rolling Stone.
In November 2017, Osbourne announced his global “farewell world tour” from 2018 to 2020.
“I’m looking at this final tour as being a huge celebration for my fans and anyone who has enjoyed my music over the past five decades,” Osbourne said at the time.