Nelly Says He 'Stands with Women' as U.K. Police Drop Sexual Assault Case Against Him
It's the second sexual assault claim that has been dropped against Nelly in recent months
Essex police have put a halt to their investigation into Nelly, stemming from claims a woman made saying the rapper sexually assaulted her after one of his concerts in England.
The anonymous woman alleged that the rapper, 44, masturbated in front of her multiple times after his show at Cliffs Pavilion in Southend back in December of 2017.
Nelly (né Cornell Haynes Jr.) had denied her accusations, but had been under criminal investigation by Essex police since January, when the woman first came forward with her claims. According to the BBC, the woman refused to testify, prompting U.K. prosecutors to drop the case. Nelly was told he faces no further action.
It’s the second sexual assault claim that has been dropped against Nelly in recent months.
In September, an American woman, Monique Green, agreed not to pursue legal action against the “Ride with Me” hitmaker.
She had claimed that Nelly raped her on his tour bus in Seattle back in October 2017, when she was a 22-year-old college student. Nelly, who said the sexual encounter was consensual, was subsequently arrested on suspicion of rape. Prosecutors dropped the case after Greene refused to testify and did not file any charges.
After prosecutors dropped the case, Greene filed a lawsuit against Nelly for sexual assault and defamation. Nelly went on to countersue. When she dropped her case against him in September, he did too.
Both Greene and the U.K. accuser were represented by the same lawyer, Nelly noted on Thursday — in a statement made after news broke that Essex police had dropped their charges.
“I am very thankful to the U.K. police for thoroughly investigating the false allegations against me and I am satisfied with the results of this case and the previous one in the U.S., both driven by the same attorney, both being dropped,” Nelly said, in a statement obtained by PEOPLE.
“I stand with women and real survivors and can’t wait to just focus on what I love, family, music and reconnecting with the fans that have stood by me through these turbulent times,” Nelly added.
Meanwhile, Nelly’s U.K. accuser — who filed under the name Jane Doe — has also filed a separate lawsuit in the United States, particularly in Nelly’s hometown of St. Louis.
Nelly’s lawyer filed a response Thursday, Fox News reported, objecting to the plaintiff remaining anonymous. Nelly’s lawyer also asked the court to dismiss the lawsuit and that he denies the allegations, per USA Today.
“I do NOT plan on walking away quietly,” Nelly had previously said in a statement. “I have to speak up for my family and for the real victims strong enough to come forward and face people that have actually assaulted them.”
He added: “I want to thank [my girlfriend] Shantel, my family, friends, and fans that have stood next to me through all of this, and know my real character.”