'Devastated' Ariana Grande Met by Family as She Arrives in Florida Following Concert Terrorist Attack: 'She Just Wants to Be with Loved Ones Right Now'

Ariana Grade is "crushed and devastated. She just wants to be with her family and loved ones right now," a source tells PEOPLE

Ariana Grande has arrived back in the States following the devastating terrorist attack after her Manchester Arena show in the U.K. Monday evening.

The singer, 23, was photographed landing in Boca Raton, Florida, where she was greeted by family and boyfriend Mac Miller at the airport, PEOPLE confirms, as seen in images on the Daily Mail. Grande grew up a half-hour away in nearby Coconut Creek, and performed around the Boca Raton and Fort Lauderdale area as a young child, prior to her Nickelodeon career taking off.

“Mac waited for Ariana at the bottom of the [private jet] stairs,” a source tells PEOPLE. “She looked distraught and like she had been crying. They hugged for a while before they headed to a waiting car. Ariana’s mom Joan was with her.”

Adds a separate Grande source, “It’s so, so sad. She loves her fans and is absolutely crushed and devastated as you can imagine. She can’t believe this happened. She just wants to be with her family and loved ones right now.”

2016 Billboard Music Awards - Arrivals
David Becker/Getty

What began as a fun night out ended in tragedy when a suicide bomber blew himself up after Grande’s concert, killing 22 and injuring at least 59.

The audience in Manchester included many children and teens, with their accompanying parents, and after the blast, eyewitnesses described to PEOPLE a scene of chaos and fear.

Chief Constable Ian Hopkins of Greater Manchester Police said the explosion occurred around 10:33 p.m. local time near the ticket office outside the arena. Police believe the suspect, who is dead, is Salman Abedi, 22, said Hopkins, though he has not been formally identified by the coroner.

In addition to Abedi, greater Manchester Police said they have arrested a 23-year-old man in connection with the incident, according to the Associated Press.

During the show, a concertgoer captured touching footage of Grande’s fans singing along to her hit song “One Last Time.”

“Broken,” Grande tweeted late Monday night. “From the bottom of my heart, I am so so sorry. I don’t have words.”

The popstar’s team is currently assessing whether or not to continue her Dangerous Woman Tour following the attack that left 22 dead, but, “as of right now, the tour is not canceled,” a source close to the situation tells EW.

“Right now, the focus is on the victims and grieving for them. We’re not focused on the tour,” the source adds. The source also clarified that Grande herself is physically “fine,” though “she’s just absolutely beside herself.”

Grande is slated to perform at London’s O2 arena on Thursday and Friday, but the shows remain up in the air, with the venue tweeting, that they do not yet have an update as to whether or not the singer’s performances would happen as planned.

  • With additional reporting by JEFF NELSON and KEVIN O’DONNELL
Updated by
Sarah Michaud
Sarah Michaud

Sarah Michaud is the senior news editor of PEOPLE's music vertical. She has been with the brand for close to 15 years, holding various roles across the digital news team before focusing on music. In 2021, Sarah won the CMA media achievement award for her coverage of country music. She earned a bachelor's degree in sociology, social work and English and resides outside of Boston.

Related Articles