Entertainment Music Remaining Fifth Harmony Members Attempted 'Intervention,' Camila Cabello 'Refused' to Talk About Group's Future: Source Monday morning, Fifth Harmony announced Camila Cabello has left the group By Jeff Nelson Jeff Nelson Instagram Twitter Jeff Nelson is the Senior News Editor, Entertainment at PEOPLE. For nearly a decade, he has worked across the brand's entertainment verticals, reporting on breaking news and writing and editing across platforms, as well as securing A-list cover exclusives, including Barry Manilow's coming out and an at-home interview with Madonna. Jeff has appeared as an expert on Good Morning America, Extra, HLN and SiriusXM, as well as at RuPaul's DragCon as a moderator. He studied magazine journalism at Drake University, graduating with a B.A. in Journalism & Mass Communication. People Editorial Guidelines Published on December 19, 2016 06:00 PM Share Tweet Pin Email Fifth Harmony‘s future has been up in the air for months, according to a source. Early Monday morning, a statement appeared on the girl group’s official Instagram and Twitter accounts announcing that Camila Cabello would be leaving the band. “The four remaining girls have tried to set up multiple meetings over the past few months, including an intervention-like sit-down with everyone involved, and Camila did not show,” the source tells PEOPLE. “She would not show up for these meetings, ever. They even flew a therapist out on the road with them on tour so they could sit down and have group therapy. They kept trying to talk to her to understand what was happening. Camila did not show. She wanted no part in any of this.” Nicholas Hunt/Getty However, a Cabello source says the singer did indeed have conversations with her former bandmates, telling PEOPLE, “Camila had multiple meetings with the group in the past, including with intermediaries, however they were unproductive. And more recently she spoke with them on an individual basis.” About 12 hours after the four remaining band members — Ally Brooke, Normani Kordei, Dinah Jane and Lauren Jauregui — announced Cabello’s exit, the singer, 19, took to social media to release her own statement. “I was shocked to read the statement the Fifth Harmony account posted without my knowing,” she posted on both Instagram and Twitter. “The girls were aware of my feelings through the long, much needed conversations about the future that we had during our tour. Saying that they were just informed through my representatives that I was ‘leaving the group’ is simply not true. Just like the other girls said in their statement about their plans, I did not intend to end things with Fifth Harmony this way. As sad as it is to see this chapter ending this way, I will continue to root them all on as individuals and as a group, I wish nothing but the best for them, all the success in the world and true happiness.” The news of Cabello’s departure dropped shortly after the X Factor alumnae, who placed third in 2012, performed at their final iHeartRadio Jingle Ball tour stop in Miami Sunday night. Cabello has done side projects with Shawn Mendes (“I Know What You Did Last Summer”) and Machine Gun Kelly (“Bad Things”) in the past year and wrote in her statement that she plans to release solo material next year. As for the future of the “Work from Home” troupe and its individual singers? “The girls will be making huge announcements for the group and their solo endeavors in January,” a source previously told PEOPLE.