The 12 Most Jaw-Dropping Moments from the 2016 American Music Awards
The 2016 American Music Awards were never going to be drama-free
The 2016 American Music Awards were never going to be drama-free.
Here are the 12 moments we’ll be talking about all day Monday … and maybe through the rest of the year.
After stepping away from the limelight at the end of August to focus on her emotional health, Gomez made a stunning return at the awards show circuit, and her fans were thrilled.
2. Gigi Hadid’s see-through red carpet look.
The supermodel kicked off her co-hosting duties at the AMAs walking the red carpet in a completely see-through lace gown.
There aren’t enough fire emojis in the world.
3. That slit on Chrissy Teigen’s dress.
The model showed off her figure in a daring long-sleeve gown with a cutout back and two hip-high slits held together (barely) by safety pins.
Taylor Swift, you better watch out: There’s a new enthusiastic audience dancer in town.
5. Gigi Hadid’s Melania Trump impression.
Controversial, but begs the question: Is there anything she can’t do?
6. Fifth Harmony’s epic, hair-flipping performance of “That’s My Girl.”
“SLAY KWEENS” is right, official AMAs Twitter. “SLAY KWEENS” is right.
The group later won best collaboration of the year for “Work from Home ft. Ty Dolla $ign.”
7. Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj’s steamy “Side to Side” performance.
We didn’t think they could possibly top their VMAs performance of their hit single, but then, somehow … they did.
8. When Drake lip-synched to Taylor Swift‘s “Bad Blood” in the new Apple Music ad.
Their budding friendship is certainly something.
9. Gigi Hadid and Zayn Malik’s backstage smooch.
After Malik won his best new artist award, the “Pillowtalk” singer shared a sweet kiss with girlfriend Hadid.
10. Lady Gaga’s emotional, barefoot “Million Reasons” performance.
The singer performed “Million Reasons” off her latest album, Joanne. We would be shocked if there were dry eyes in the audience. And fans went wild.
11. Green Day chanting “No Trump, No KKK, No Fascist USA.”
Green Day got political during their set. As they do.
12. Selena Gomez’s emotional acceptance speech.
While accepting her award for favorite female artist, Gomez got real about her recent journey.
“I was absolutely broken inside,” she said, referring to her past few months out of the limelight. “If you are broken, you don’t have to stay broken.”
The whole audience, especially Lady Gaga, was on her side.
Gomez took a career hiatus at the end of August to focus on her emotional health. While she never officially confirmed she’d be attending Sunday’s awards show, admirers anticipated her return … and went crazy when photos of her getting ready for the AMAs starting circulating on the Internet.