Affleck revealed in January he would no longer continue playing Batman in future DC films
Ben Affleck is getting candid about why he dropped out of writing and directing a Batman movie.
In 2016, Warner Bros. announced the Oscar winner would not only reprise his role as the superhero in a new standalone project, but that he would also write and direct it. He has since dropped out from the movie altogether.
The 46-year-old actor recently told IGN in an interview that he was “never happy” with his script for the action film.
“That was part of the problem,” Affleck told IGN. “We worked on the script, I was trying to figure out how to crack it, and I was never happy enough with it where I thought it was worth going out and making it because I just didn’t want to do a version that I wasn’t really excited by, so I still don’t know.”
Rumors had been swirling for a while that Affleck would be hanging up his Batman cape. In January, he tweeted a link to a Deadline story with the headline “Ben Affleck Passes The Torch To Next Generation Of Bruce Wayne,” and added his own caption: “Excited for #TheBatman in Summer 2021 and to see @MattReevesLA vision come to life.”
In February 2017, Matt Reeves (War for the Planet of the Apes) confirmed he’d signed on to direct and produce a new Batman movie, which Warner Bros. later announced the release date of the anticipated project: June 25, 2021.
Affleck first took on the iconic DC Comics role in Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice in 2016 and assumed it again in 2017 as part of Justice League — alongside, Wonder Woman Gal Gadot, Superman, Henry Cavill, The Flash, Ezra Miller, Aquaman Jason Momoa and Cyborg, Ray Fisher. Also in 2017, he appeared briefly as the character in Suicide Squad.
The Batman, which still has yet to find its caped crusader, will hit theaters on June 25, 2021.