May 11, 2016 05:20 PM

New dad Justin Timberlake officially “gets it.”

The multi-talented star, 35, lends his voice and musical talent to the upcoming animated film Trolls, and tells PEOPLE that since becoming a father he truly understands how magical it is to take part in a movie that his 13-month-old son, Silas Randall, can enjoy.

“I’ve heard different actors that are parents who’ve done animated films, I’ve seen them say ‘I want to do a movie that my kid can go see, that we can go see together,’ ” he tells PEOPLE alongside costar Anna Kendrick at the Cannes Film Festival. “I was always like, ‘Yeah, whatever. I get it.’ And now I get it.”

“It’ll be exciting to watch it with him,” he says.

The father-son duo already have experience watching one thing together: the Golf Channel.

“They’re like the same person,” Jessica Biel told PEOPLE last month. “It’s like a mini version of him … They like to sit and watch golf together. The only TV that Silas is allowed to watch is the Golf Channel, which is really funny.”

Timberlake says fatherhood mostly drove his decision to participate in the upcoming movie – but only mostly.

“I’d say 80 percent serendipity of having a child and the other 20 percent just going ‘I just want to do an animated movie’ because they’re so fun to do,” he says.

Timberlake previously lent his voice to Shrek 3, but this was a new experience since he had a chance to work as a producer for the soundtrack.

“Getting to write so much original music for the film, that’s always something I wanted to do,” he says. (He recently released “Can’t Stop the Feeling,” a new single from the upcoming film.

“It’s been sort of blessing in disguise because you write these songs that you never would have written,” he continued.

Timberlake and Kendrick screened select footage from the family-friendly flick at the Cannes Film Festival this week, and surprised the audience with a rendition of Cyndi Lauper’s hit “True Colors” from the film’s soundtrack.

The red carpet veteran also opened up about participating in the Cannes Film Festival, an experience he says is like no other. (A sentiment he also alluded to in this funny Instagram he shared Wednesday.)

“It’s almost like cinema royalty,” he says. “You kind of get blown away. That big red carpet walking up to the Palais is nuts. You’ve never seen anything like it.”

Trolls hits theaters Nov. 4.

You May Like

EDIT POST