Meryl Streep Jokes She's 'a Little Bit in Love' with Her The Prom Costar Keegan-Michael Key
The Oscar-winning actress stars alongside Key in the Netflix film The Prom, out Friday
The Oscar-winning actress gushed about the actor in this week’s issue of PEOPLE, saying "it was so much fun" to sing, dance and flirt with Key in the Ryan Murphy-directed Netflix film.
"It was that thing where you’ve watched someone for so long and you’re a little bit in love with them," jokes Streep, 71, when asked about their onscreen chemistry.
"Keegan—his talent is just so huge," she says. "He’s funny, he’s gorgeous and he sings."
- For more about Meryl Streep, pick up the latest issue of PEOPLE, on newsstands Friday.
Key, 49, jokingly told the actress, "I will pay you later, Meryl," before telling PEOPLE, "It really is that thing when you admire somebody from afar, you hold a place in your heart for them."
The Prom follows a group of egotistical Broadway stars who head to small-town Indiana to help a high school girl, Emma, who's banned from attending her school's prom because she wants to bring her girlfriend, Alyssa, as her date. While it sounds like a noble cause, the foursome is mainly in it for the good press they'll receive.
Jo Ellen Pellman stars as Emma and Broadway star Ariana DeBose as Alyssa, Emma's secret girlfriend.
The Prom opens in select theaters and arrives on Netflix on Friday.
- Ashlyn Harris and Ali Krieger's Adoption Journey Only Took Three Weeks: 'It Was Too Perfect'
- Drew Baldridge Marries Katherine Kraus — All the Details from Their Music-Filled Wedding
- Jinger Duggar and Husband Jeremy Vuolo Are 'Disgusted' by Child Porn Charges Against Josh: Source
- Two Mothers-in-Law Overcome Same Breast Cancer Years Apart, Celebrate First Grandchild Together