Leonardo DiCaprio Responds to Rumor That He Is Raped By a Bear in The Revenant: 'It's Absurd'
Leonardo DiCaprio also shared details of the grueling nine-month shoot for The Revenant
At the premiere of the upcoming film on Wednesday in Los Angeles, DiCaprio, 41, finally addressed those misguided bear rape rumors.
“I have no idea where these ridiculous things come from, and what you do when you hear stuff like that,” DiCaprio told E! News. “It’s absurd. It’s absurd.”
The rumors were debunked by a Fox spokesperson earlier this month.
“As anyone who has seen the movie can attest, the bear in the film is a female who attacks Hugh Glass because she feels he might be threatening her cubs,” the spokesperson said in a statement to Entertainment Weekly. “There is clearly no rape scene with a bear.”
But that doesn’t mean filming the movie was all sunshine and daisies – DiCaprio spoke earlier this week about eating real bison liver and working in negative 40-degree temperatures in order to maintain the authenticity of the film’s story.
However, there was one bright spot during filming.
“She only came for like a week at the good times,” he said. “We were there for nine months!”
The film, which also stars Tom Hardy, is based on the true story of 19th-century explorer Hugh Glass (DiCaprio), who traveled nearly 200 miles to civilization to seek revenge after his cohorts left him for dead and murdered his son.
The Revenant hits theaters on Christmas Day in a limited release before premiering wide on Jan. 8.