The Juno director quickly backtracked on his comments, saying the reboot was "amazing"
Director Jason Reitman is singing praises of the 2016 female-led Ghostbusters reboot after he drew flak for saying his upcoming sequel to the classic film will “hand the movie back to fans.”
Reitman, 41, announced in January that he’s quietly been hard at work on a sequel to the original 1984 Ghostbusters film, which was directed by his father Ivan Reitman.
He shed light on just how he pulled the project together on a recent episode of Bill Burr’s Monday Morning Podcast, and said it was his goal to “go back to the original technique and hand the movie back to fans.”
“I’m not making the Juno of Ghostbusters movies,” the Juno director said. “This is gonna be a love letter to Ghostbusters…. I want to make a movie for my fellow Ghostbusters fans.”
Reitman’s comments quickly drew backlash from those who felt he was suggesting that the 2016 film, directed by Paul Feig and starring Leslie Jones, Kate McKinnon, Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy, was not good enough for fans.
The director clarified his comments on Twitter Wednesday, writing that he thought the film – which billed itself as a reboot and not a sequel – was “amazing.”
“Wo, that came out wrong! I have nothing but admiration for Paul and Leslie and Kate and Melissa and Kristen and the bravery with which they made Ghostbusters 2016,” he wrote. “They expanded the universe and made an amazing movie!”
Reitman’s clarification found support in Feig, who defended him on Twitter.
“Jason was a supporter of mine at a time when I couldn’t get movies made. He has always been a true gentleman to me and a supporter of Ghostbusters: Answer the Call,” he wrote. “I can’t wait to see his take on the Ghostbusters universe. Big love and respect to you, Jason. Your fan, Paul.”
Reitman’s take on Ghostbusters is slated to open in 2020, and is “set in the world that was saved decades previously by the proton pack-wearing working stiffs in the original 1984 movie,” according to Entertainment Weekly.
“I have so much respect for what Paul (Feig) created with those brilliant actresses, and would love to see more stories from them,” Reitman told EW. “However, this new movie will follow the trajectory of the original film.”
His initial announcement that he was bringing back the beloved franchise was met with anger from Leslie Jones, who wrote on Twitter that she felt his film would enforce the notion that women do not belong in the Ghostbusters universe.
“So insulting. Like f—k us. We didn’t count. It’s like something trump would do. (Trump voice)”Gonna redo ghostbusteeeeers, better with men, will be huge. Those women ain’t ghostbusteeeeers” ugh so annoying,” she wrote. “Such a d—k movie.”
“If they make this new one with all men and it does well, which it will, it might feel that ‘boys are better.’ It makes my heart drop,” she continued. “Maybe I could have use(d) different words but I’m allowed to have my feelings just like them.”