Getty (2)
June 29, 2016 12:20 PM

Despite earning over $2 billion at the box office, not everyone was won over by Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

, for instance, was underwhelmed by J.J. Abrams‘ movie.

In an interview with YouTuber Keely Stinner, Titanic and Avatar director James Cameron gave a candid response when asked about the Star Wars sequel.

“I have to say that I felt that George [Lucas]’ group of six films had more innovative visual imagination, and this film was more a retrenchment to things you had seen before and characters you had seen before,” Cameron said of the film, directed by J.J. Abrams.

“It took a few baby steps forward with new characters,” Cameron continued. “So, for me, the jury is out. I want to see where they go with it.”

RELATED VIDEO: Here’s Your First Look at Star Wars: Rogue One

Earlier in the interview, Cameron does say he has “a lot of respect” for Abrams. He has said previously that he did not want to release the upcoming Avatar sequel, scheduled for December 2018, at the same time as any of the Star Wars movies.

“My original plan was to release them a year apart, but we’re opening that up,” the director told Famous Monsters of Filmland in April. “If for no other reason than that I don’t want to land on the same date as one of the Star Wars sequels. That wouldn’t be fair to them. [Laughs.] No, that’s just good business. I don’t want to go head-to-head with Star Wars . That would be stupid. And hopefully they won’t want to go head to head with us.”

You May Like

EDIT POST