The actors — who star in Life — first met on the set of the thriller, where their professional relationship developed into something much more aww-worthy, and has since become the main topic on their press tour for the film. (Because when two dapper men flaunt their unbreakable bond, no sane human is capable of ignoring such perfection.)
Below, see all the times the pair practically declared their love for each other — and left us wanting more.
1. When Jake FaceTimed Ryan during his Late Night appearance.
You know you’re close when calling your bestie during an interview is NBD.
2. When Jake spoke about their instant connection.
“He’s a wonderful man,” Gyllenhaal said of Reynolds during an appearance on BBC’s The One Show. “It’s rare in our industry to meet someone, a contemporary, and there’s no competition … There are just some friends you meet at a certain time in your life.”
3. When they could not stop laughing during a hilarious (and NSFW) joint interview for Life.
Spoiler alert: Only a few seconds from the five-minute interview were devoted to the sci-fi thriller. Declared Gyllenhaal, “This is such a useless interview, it’s so great.” Added Reynolds, “You have nothing usable here.”
4. When Ryan admitted that Jake might be a better cook than his wife, Blake Lively.
“Jake is easily the most interesting actor working in Hollywood today. Definitely one of my favorites, and then at the same time one of the kindest guys I’ve ever met,” Reynolds said on Good Morning America. “Suddenly, I found myself — we’re hanging out all the time. We live near each other.” And if that doesn’t make you swoon, check out this tidbit: “He comes over and — Blake, my wife, is very good at cooking and Jake might just be little bit better.”
5. When Jake spoke about how much fun he and Ryan had on the set of Life.
As expected, Gyllenhaal and Reynolds would break out in laughter so often while filming Life that they were eventually pulled aside by the film’s producers: “They brought us in the corner and they were like, ‘You guys need to cut it out. We are wasting so much money.'” Gyllenhaal jokingly said he argued back, “But we’re starting a bromance! Gives us our time!”
6. When Jake referred to Ryan as family.
“He is a good man, he is like a brother … We just connected,” Gyllenhaal told ET Canada. “I’m proud to say that he’s my really good friend. He’s a wonderful man.”
FROM COINAGE: The Top 5 Most Expensive Movies of All Time
7. When Jake said Ryan deserved an Oscar nomination for Deadpool.
“We talk about brilliant performances all the time, you know, the actors who tear themselves apart for their roles, which I’m a believer in. But then I look at Ryan Reynolds in Deadpool and I say, ‘No one can do that but him.’ That is truly, purely him,” Gyllenhaal gushed. “As an artist, he struggled for several years to figure that out and it’s all there on the screen. And it’s brilliant.”
8. When they wore matching tuxes to the Golden Globes.
Our hearts can’t take this much handsome.
9. When Ryan and Jake chatted with Blake at the Golden Globes.
Who’s the real third wheel here?
10. When Ryan gave Jake’s Broadway performance a shout-out on Twitter.
We’ll never be over how Ryan can’t help but gush about his Life costar.