Daisy Ridley quickly found herself under attack for speaking out on the subject of gun violence

placeholder
By
August 04, 2016 10:05 AM

Daisy Ridley has said goodbye to Instagram, at least for now.

The Star Wars actress, 24, deleted her account after she received backlash for posting a message in support of victims affected by gun violence.

On Monday, Ridley wrote about how moved she was by the Teen Choice Awards tribute to victims of gun violence.

“[As] I sat in the audience yesterday tears were streaming down my face at the tribute to those that have been lost to gun violence,” she said the post, which was also shared on her Facebook account. “I didn’t get a great picture of the incredible group that came on stage but they were so brave. It was a true moment of togetherness. We must #stoptheviolence.”

After posting the message, Ridley quickly found herself under attack for speaking out on the subject, with some accusing her of being a hypocrite due to the level of violence shown in Star Wars.

Soon after, Ridley’s post and entire account disappeared, along with her corresponding Facebook post.

RELATED VIDEO: Daisy Ridley on Landing a Role in Star Wars After Months of Auditions

The actress reportedly momentarily reactivated her Instagram to explain her decision behind her social media hiatus.

“I just want to be on my phone less! Trying to be more present and all that and got a busy few months ahead so wanted less distractions… It’s all good! :)” she wrote, according to fan account. “I always appreciate the support and love the Instagram community! X.”

Ridley joined Instagram last year, and became known for her uplifting messages about self-acceptance and body positivity.

You May Like

EDIT POST