Director James Gunn was fired by Disney over old tweets joking about pedophilia and rape
Despite the divided response in the wake of Walt Disney Studios’ decision to fire franchise director James Gunn, Pratt says the third movie is still happening.
“I promise there’ll be a third movie, I don’t know exactly what that’s going to look like, but I know everyone on board is just eager to give the fans what they want and wrap up a trilogy in a meaningful way,” he told Variety over the weekend at the world premiere of Lego Movie 2: The Second Part in Los Angeles.
Disney fired Gunn from the third film in July after conservative personalities and Twitter users dug up Gunn’s old tweets joking about pedophilia and rape.
“The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James’ Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio’s values, and we have severed our business relationship with him,” Walt Disney Company chairman Alan Horn said in a statement on July 20.
In the months since his firing, Bautista has been the most outspoken about Disney’s decision, going so far as to say on the The Jonathan Ross Show that he’s unsure whether he wants to return to the franchise.
“To be honest with you, I don’t know if I want to work for Disney,” Bautista said.
He explained, “There’s a bit of an issue. It’s a bittersweet conversation. No, it’s a bitter, bitter conversation because I’m not really happy with what they’ve done with James Gunn. They’re putting the movie off. It’s on hold indefinitely.”
Bautista added, “I’ve been very vocal about the way I feel. I’m not afraid to admit the way I feel … I don’t think I’m your typical Hollywood guy.”
As for Gunn, he’s reportedly being courted to direct the sequel to Suicide Squad after writing the script for DC.
The Suicide Squad is slated for a release date of August 2021.