Star Trek Beyond Event at Cannes Canceled Following Anton Yelchin's Death
The cast was scheduled to attend a Q&A Wednesday at the 63rd Cannes Lions festival
A scheduled event for Star Trek Beyond at Cannes has been canceled by Paramount Pictures following costar Anton Yelchin’s death Sunday.
The cast of the latest outing in the rebooted franchise was set to attend a Q&A Wednesday at the 63rd Cannes Lions festival, which kicked off this past weekend and features a slate of star-studded talks and appearances.
“All of us are deeply saddened by the loss of our friend Anton Yelchin. Out of respect, we are withdrawing our participation in the previously announced Star Trek Beyond event at Cannes Lions this week,” the studio said in a statement.
The film, the third installment in the franchise’s rebooted saga, is slated to open in U.S. theaters on July 22.
Yelchin was pronounced dead early Sunday after his body was found pinned between his car and the gate of his home in Studio City, California.
Authorities believe the vehicle rolled backward along the steep driveway and trapped the 27-year-old actor, who died of “blunt traumatic asphyxia,” said Lt. Larry Dietz of the Los Angeles County coroner’s office.
VIDEO: Costars and Other Celebs Remember Star Trek Actor Anton Yelchin
Police are investigating whether Yelchin’s car, a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee, had a gear-shift design that failed to adequately alert drivers as to whether the vehicle was in “park” mode.
The car was the same model that had been recalled by automobile manufacturer Fiat Chrysler Automobiles in April after the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration investigated a possible issue with the gear shift’s design and safety features.
“We are looking into that,” a spokesperson for the LAPD told PEOPLE. “The investigation is still ongoing and the traffic detectives will look at all of those factors as they would in any traffic collision investigation.”
In a statement to PEOPLE, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles officials said it is too early “to speculate on the cause of this tragedy,” adding: “FCA US extends its most sincere condolences to the family and friends of Mr. Yelchin. The company is in contact with the authorities and is conducting a thorough investigation.”