Kate Middleton and Prince William Wear Matching Bracelets Gifted to Them During Emotional Visit The Prince and Princess of Wales visited the town where three young girls lost their lives last summer By Meredith Kile Meredith Kile Meredith Kile is a Digital News Writer-Editor at PEOPLE. She has been an entertainment and political journalist for more than a decade, previously working for Entertainment Tonight, VICE and Al Jazeera America. People Editorial Guidelines Published on September 23, 2025 04:08PM EDT 8 Comments Prince William and Kate Middleton. Credit : PHIL NOBLE/POOL/AFP via Getty NEED TO KNOW Kate Middleton and Prince William made an emotional visit to Southport to continue their support for the victims of the July 2024 knife attack at a children's dance classThe royal couple visited the schools of the three young victims and met with each of their familiesThe mother of one of the victims, Bebe King, gifted William and Kate matching mementos of her late daughter, which the couple wore for the rest of their visit Kate Middleton and Prince William left their emotional visit to Southport with matching mementos. The Prince and Princess of Wales, both 43, made an unannounced visit to the small town near Liverpool on Sept. 23 to continue their support for the grieving families and schoolchildren affected by last year's horrific knife attack at a Taylor Swift-themed dance class. On July 29, 2024, three girls — Bebe King, 6, Elsie Dot Stancombe, 7, and Alice Dasilva Aguiar, 9 — were killed as they took part in the class at the Hart Space dance studio. In January 2025, Axel Rudakubana, 18, was sentenced to life in prison with a minimum of 52 years after admitting to his role in the deadly attack. Kate and William toured the girls' schools and met privately with each of their families. It was Bebe's mom, Lauren King, who gifted the couple with a special keepsake in her daughter's memory: matching friendship bracelets that spelled out "Bebe's Hive," a grief support charity for children founded in the young girl's name. “It meant everything," Lauren told GB News of her moment with the royal couple. "It was really special." “I think we’re really grateful anyway how Bebe’s been honored so much in this school, and seeing the prince and princess support that and be here has been just amazing,” she added. Prince William wears a bracelet that reads "Bebe's Hive," in honor of stabbing victim Bebe King, as he visits Southport on Sept. 23, 2025. PHIL NOBLE/POOL/AFP via Getty Princess Kate and Prince William continued to wear the bracelets throughout the day, including when they toured a new playground at Bebe and Alice's school, Churchtown Primary School, which was built in the girls' memory. It features plenty of areas for play, including a climbing frame and a cycle track, as well as quiet reflection, like the indoor and outdoor library. Speaking to the families and fellow students of the young victims, William said, "This playground is a symbol of how the community have come together to create such a positive place for the pupils of this school — a symbol of remembrance and resilience, a testament that love will always overcome tragedy." "Many lives were changed on that terrible day – including countless members of this school community. Bebe, Alice and Elsie’s friends and classmates have come together to support each other and remember the girls in their own way," he continued. "To everyone impacted on that day, you will never be forgotten. Enjoy this playground. Be brave, be joyful and be kind." Prince William and Kate Middleton wear matching bracelets gifted to them by the mother of Southport stabbing victim Bebe King on Sept. 23. 2025. Phil Noble - WPA Pool/Getty Related Stories Kate Middleton and Prince William Make Emotional Return to Southport After Dance Class Knife Attack From Kate Middleton's Historic Brooch to King Charles' Sentimental Tie, See the Secret Style Nods at State Visit Kickoff Our new app is here! Free, fun and full of exclusives. Scan to download now! Addressing the girls' parents directly, the Prince of Wales added, "You are parents united in grief. You have faced such horror — but from that, you move forward with grace and fortitude, creating the most remarkable legacies for your girls. We will always be here to support you." Can't get enough of PEOPLE's Royals coverage? Sign up for our free Royals newsletter to get the latest updates on Kate Middleton, Meghan Markle and more! Following the initial news of the tragic attack, William and Kate — parents to Prince George, 12, Princess Charlotte, 10, and Prince Louis, 7 — issued a statement of sympathy: "As parents, we cannot begin to imagine what the families, friends and loved ones of those killed and injured in Southport today are going through. We send our love, thoughts and prayers to all those involved in this horrid and heinous attack." Then, in December, Princess Kate invited the families and survivors from the town to her Together at Christmas carol service held at Westminster Abbey. Close Leave a Comment Read more: Royals British Royal Family British Royal Family News