Washington Police Rescue Woman with Disabilities Who Was Trapped in Car at Tow Yard for 9 Days

Kent Police Department in Washington state said that the woman "had been inside the car for 9 days alone in the tow yard during near freezing weather"

tow yard
Tow yard. Photo: Getty

A woman with disabilities in Washington state has been rescued after spending nine days in a car during what authorities are describing as "near freezing weather."

In a Tuesday Facebook post, the Kent Police Department revealed that the "severely disabled adult" woman, who is not named, was reported missing by her sister on Feb. 14.

Officials went on to say that the woman "was last seen on February 5, 2022 when her mother, a 45-year-old Kent resident, parked her vehicle at a gas station in [Kent] and walked off, leaving her daughter inside the car."

According to the police department, they "determined through investigation that the vehicle had been privately towed, at the request of the gas station personnel, to a lot in Burien."

Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from juicy celebrity news to compelling human-interest stories.

Once Kent PD contracted the tow yard, employees at the latter located the woman inside the vehicle that had been towed.

"She had been inside the car for 9 days alone in the tow yard during near freezing weather," the Facebook post reveals.

Officers "immediately requested medical aid," they say, and the woman "was transported to a local hospital to receive treatment."

The investigation into the incident is ongoing, Kent PD adds.

RELATED VIDEO: "My Sweet Little Girl": Ohio Toddler Dies After Wandering Outside in Freezing Weather

A manager at Skyway Towing and Rescue, Bon Pauza, told Fox 13 Seattle that they "found a lady in the backseat covered over by clothing and other detritus, so she couldn't be seen."

He added that the woman was unresponsive when medical helped arrived, after his driver knocked on the window of the locked car to no response.

"I've been in this industry for over 30 years and this is the first time I've ever seen it. It's never happened before," Pauza told the news outlet.

In the police department's Facebook post, Chief Rafael Padilla said, "We are extremely relieved that we were able to locate and rescue the victim. If not for the efforts of our Officers and the support of King County Sheriffs and Fire, this incident would likely have ended in tragedy."

Related Articles