Inside José Fernéndez's Final Hours Before the Ace Pitcher's Tragic Death at Sea

Marlins pitcher José Fernéndez died in a boat crash along with two childhood friends early Sunday morning

Photo: Wilfredo Lee/AP

While family, friends and fans continue to come to terms with the tragic death of 24-year-old Miami Marlins pitcher José Fernéndez, new details have emerged about how he spent his final hours alive.

Fernéndez and his two – Emilio Macia, 27 and Eduardo Rivero, 25 – were spotted at the popular Miami waterfront bar American Social Bar and Kitchen before all three were killed in a boating accident Sunday morning.

“Jose Fernandez was a guest at American Social. We would like to extend our sincerest condolences, thoughts and prayers to the families and friends who share in the loss of the three victims involved in this tragic boating accident and to the Miami Marlins organization,” the bar said in a statement obtained by PEOPLE.

Around 2:20 that morning, a man took a picture of Fernéndez outside the restaurant. Just slightly over an hour later, at 3:30 a.m., a Coast Guard vessel found the boat, CBS4 News reports.

Fernéndez was expecting a baby with his girlfriend, Maria Arias.

The Miami-Dade Medical Examiner’s office has completed autopsies on the three men, but are awaiting the results of toxicology tests.

On Monday afternoon, friends and family were seen arriving at Fernéndez’s mother’s house in West Miami-Dade, according to CBS4, including sports agent Scott Boras.

“A great kid, gifted, his mother, his grandmother, nice young man,” he told CBS4 while sobbing.

Rivero’s friend Will Bernal also spoke out about the last and troubling conversation they had.

Bernal said Rivero asked him to go on the boat, CBS reports, but he declined and sent a text to share his reservations about the late-night trip.

“I told him I didn’t want him to go out on the boat and to be careful. I didn’t have a good feeling. It’s too dark at night,” Bernal said.

He added that he also thought Fernéndez was stressed about something – and told Rivero to stay close to the shore.

“I know. Try to keep José cool, tell him what I said,” he texted him.

He added: “I basically told Eduardo that even though he was stressed out right now, he wouldn’t even think about it next week. He’s young and going out on the water is not going to solve your problems.”

On Monday, the Marlins went to beat the New York Mets 7-3 in their first game back since his death.

“I don’t know how any of us got out there and played today,” second baseman Dee Gordon who opened the first game with a home run, told FOX Sports Florida’s Craig Minervini.

“It’s very tough – but it’s only a fraction of how his family feels. We’re just his extended family. And I just pray for them at this time.”

With reporting by BECKY RANDEL

Related Articles