Lubitz emailed a doctor on March 10 and said that he could only sleep two hours a night and wanted urgent help, according to a French prosecutor
Credit: Reuters

Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz, the man who deliberately crashed Flight 9525 into the French Alps on March 24, feared going blind and saw 41 doctors in the last five years, prosecutors said.

On Thursday, French prosecutor Brice Robin met with grieving relatives of the 150 people who died. Afterwards, he spoke about new developments in his criminal investigation.

Lubitz, 27, didn’t just fear he was going blind; he also took sick days at work, upped his dosage of an antidepressant and reached out to doctors with his concerns.

Just two weeks before the crash, he sent an email to one doctor saying he had doubled his dose of an antidepressant after experiencing near-sleepless nights because of issues with his vision.

Some of the doctors that saw Lubitz thought he was unfit to fly, but “unfortunately that information was not reported because of medical secrecy requirements,” Robin said. According to German patient secrecy laws, doctors risk being sentenced to prison if they release information about their patients unless there is evidence that they intend to commit a serious crime or harm themselves.

Robin told reporters that “without a shadow of a doubt Mr. Andreas Lubitz deliberately destroyed the plane and deliberately killed 150 people, including himself.”

Information from Lubitz’s computer tablet also showed he had investigated vision problems. He had seven medical appointments in the month before the crash, including three with a psychiatrist, and he had taken eight sick days off work.

“He even said to some of those close to him that given this vision loss, life no longer had meaning,” Robin said.

As for the families of the victims, German lawyer Peter Kortas, whose firm represents relatives of 34 victims, said negotiations with the airline on compensation have now begun.

“In this moment everything else is not as important as the fact that the bodies, [the] remains be returned to their families,” Kortas said. “It’s already more than two and a half months since the crash happened, so it’s finally necessary to get to closure.”