Human Interest Child Hospitalized with Severe Burns After Performing Experiment Seen on TikTok: Firefighters The experiment, which firefighters say the child saw on TikTok, uses a water jug and flammable vapors to create a loud "whoosh" sound By Jason Hahn Jason Hahn Jason Hahn is a former Human Interest and Sports Reporter for PEOPLE. He started at PEOPLE's Los Angeles Bureau as a writer and reporter in 2017 and interviewed the likes of Kobe Bryant, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Tom Brady. He has a B.A. in English from the University of California, Berkeley, and a Master's degree in Journalism from Columbia University. He previously worked for Complex Magazine in New York City. People Editorial Guidelines Published on December 29, 2021 07:10 PM Share Tweet Pin Email TikTok. Photo: Rafael Henrique/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty A child from Connecticut was hospitalized after they suffered severe burns in an experiment authorities say has been popularized on social media. East Haven firefighters responded to a call around 8:30 p.m. on Tuesday night after a child was hurt performing an experiment they saw on TikTok, the East Haven Fire Department said in a statement sent to PEOPLE. The child, who was not identified, was taken to Yale Children's Hospital in New Haven, and later transferred to the Bridgeport Hospital Burn Center. According to the department, the child was performing the "whoosh bottle experiment," a demonstration that has typically been used to show the combustion of flammable vapors in a five-gallon water jug. The vapor inside the jug is ignited using a match in an attempt to make a loud "whoosh" sound. In a statement to PEOPLE, TikTok said they would remove videos of experiments that do not show safety precautions. "We understand that this school science experiment can be done safely with proper precautions, but videos without visible safety measures will be removed from our platform," a spokesperson said. "We also work to add caution labels to videos performed in a controlled setting, though they are ineligible for recommendation into people's For You feeds." There are dozens of videos of the demonstration, some more than 10 years old, searchable online. Most feature a scientist or teacher performing the experiment while wearing safety gear. 10-Year-Old Girl Dies Trying 'Blackout Challenge' from Social Media, Mom Says In a statement, Fire Chief Matt Marcarelli warned social media users against trying the experiment at home. "This could easily have led to a fatality as well as a major fire in the house," Marcarelli said. "Alcohol is a volatile flammable liquid and can act as an accelerant." According to the Children's Safety Network, nearly 300 children and adolescents die from fire or burn injuries each year, and over 100,000 are sent to hospitals or emergency room departments. RELATED VIDEO: TikTok Star Gabriel Salazar, 19, Dies in Fiery Car Crash After High-Speed Police Chase East Haven Fire Marshal Charles Miller said he is reaching out to local schools to raise awareness around the experiment. Colorado Boy, 12, Dies 19 Days After Choking Himself in 'Blackout Challenge' Found on TikTok "Take a few minutes to talk to your children about the dangers of playing with ignitable liquids and matches and monitor what they are watching," Miller said in a statement sent to PEOPLE. "This experiment when done incorrectly can cause severe burns that can permanently scar an individual."