Chip and Joanna Gaines are helping fix up a local hero.
Waco, Texas, firefighter Garth Goodwin had just left his part-time job, assembling the famous rolling screens used to reveal made over houses to the homeowners on the hit HGTV show Fixer Upper, when he was involved in a freak accident that left him paralyzed from the chest down. According to KWTX, who first reported the incident, a metal pole fell on electrical wires above Goodwin, electrocuting him and causing him to topple from a ladder.
Following the incident, residents and local businesses began raising money to help build a new handicap-accessible home for Goodwin, who along with his wife, also cares for the couple’s son, Cutler, 19, who was born without a portion of his brain.
The Gaineses are reportedly pitching in to make sure the project becomes a reality, and fast.
“Chip and Joanna have offered to pick up the last big ticket item,” contractor Wes Waller of UBI Products tells KWTX. “They’re going to pay for the cost of lumber.”
More than 70 businesses and contractors — and even the Baylor University softball team — offered to contribute services and supplies, and a GoFundMe page has also been created in his honor. Although Goodwin doesn’t know the Gaineses personally, after the couple learned that acquiring lumber had been a roadblock for the project, they swiftly stepped in to ensure construction could move forward.
WATCH THIS: HGTV’s Chip and Joanna Gaines on Their 14 Year Marriage
“It’s just like that picture in the restaurant where you’re working to connect the dots,” Waller says. “Chip and Joanna connected the dots for us.”
Goodwin’s colleague, firefighter Jay Jeffrey echoes Waller’s sentiment. “All of us at the Waco Fire Department are thankful for Chip and Joanna and everyone that has stepped up to help our friend and his family,” he says. “The positive impact they are making for Garth, Lisa and Cutter is immeasurable.”