The chef-owner of Buttercream Bakeshop in Washington, D.C., shares a “hauntingly sweet treat.”
Tiffany MacIsaac’s Mini Mummy Pies
2 (14.1-oz.) pkg. refrigerated piecrusts (4 crusts)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 oz. cream cheese, softened
¾ cup cherry jam
½ cup powdered sugar
¼ tsp. vanilla extract
2 drops white liquid food coloring
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Stack 2 piecrusts together on a lightly floured surface. Roll pie crusts together to form a 14-inch circle; trim edges to form a 12-inch square. Cut into 8 rectangles. Place on a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet.
2. Unroll remaining 2 piecrusts on a lightly floured surface. Cut each piecrust into 20 (5×1-inch) strips.
3. Brush edges of each rectangle with beaten egg. Spread center of each rectangle with about 1½ teaspoons cream cheese, leaving a ½-inch border. Spoon 1 tablespoon jam on top of cream cheese. Arrange 4 or 5 strips of dough onto each pie, crisscrossing to resemble a mummy and brushing with egg wash to adhere strips to edges (see below).
4. Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Place eyeballs on jam filling while hot. Cool pies on baking sheet 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Stir together powdered sugar, 1½ teaspoons water, vanilla and food coloring until smooth. Spread glaze over cooled pies.
Active time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 25 minutes