Americans Prefer This Type of Meat to Turkey on Thanksgiving, Plus 8 More Staggering Facts About the Holiday
55.3 million Americans are expected to travel during the holiday, according to Good Morning America.
65 percent of Americans prefer an alternative to turkey, according to WalletHub. Ham has the majority 60 percent vote, while chicken comes in second with 41 percent and then roast beef at 37 percent.
An average of $186.05 will be spent by Americans in anticipation of the holiday, according to LendEDU.
There are also 5 places in the United States named after the popular side dish, according to the U.S. Census Bureau:
- Cranberry Lake CDP, New York
- Cranberry township, Alleghany County, North Carolina
- Cranberry township, Avery County, North Carolina
- Cranberry township, Butler County, Pennsylvania
- Cranberry township, Venango County, Pennsylvania
The average turkey will weigh 30 lbs. and Americans will eat a whopping 1.4 billion lbs. of it this Thanksgiving, according to AJC.
$19 million in property loss caused by residential building fires occurs every Thanksgiving, according to WalletHub.