Make This Ultra-Creamy Mac 'n' Cheese with Just 5 Ingredients
Great British Baking Show champ John Whaite offers a crowd-pleasing, cheesy pasta dish.
Take 5 is a PEOPLE Food series with a mission: Get a star-worthy meal (or dessert or cocktail) on your table in either 5 minutes or using only 5 ingredients. Each recipe has been bravely tested, tasted and approved by our food editors for your eating pleasure. If you’re hungry for more recipes, we’ve got you covered.
Great British Baking Show champ and author of Perfect Plates in 5 Ingredients John Whaite offers this crowd-pleasing, cheesy pasta dish. His secret ingredient? Evaporated milk, which makes for a ultra-creamy. smooth sauce with zero fuss.
Watch the video above to see how we did it, then follow the recipe below to make it yourself at home.
Taleggio Mac ‘n’ Cheese with Sausage
1½ lbs. fresh Italian sausage with fennel
12 oz. uncooked fusilli or rotini pasta
2 (12-oz.) cans evaporated milk
14 oz. taleggio cheese, cut into 1-in. pieces
½ tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
4½ oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1-in. pieces
1. Preheat oven to 425°. Roast sausages in a 13×9-inch baking dish until cooked through and slightly browned, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove sausages from baking dish to a cutting board, and let stand until cool enough to handle.
2. While sausages roast, cook pasta in a large saucepan according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
3. Reduce oven temperature to 400°. Cut sausages into ½-inch pieces.
4. Pour evaporated milk into saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium. Add taleggio in batches, stirring until melted and smooth after each addition. Stir in salt, pepper, sliced sausages and pasta.
5. Pour pasta mixture into same baking dish. Evenly sprinkle mozzarella on top of pasta mixture. Bake in oven until sauce is bubbling and mozzarella is melted and browned, 35 to 40 minutes.
Active time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
*salt, pepper and oil are freebie ingredients!