What to Eat and Drink During the Sons of Anarchy Series Finale
If you’re having trouble visualizing how after Tuesday night, you’re going to have to live in a world without Sons of Anarchy, we have only one solution for you: Drown your sorrows in whiskey, cookies and ice cream.
In honor of the series finale on Tuesday (10 p.m ET on FX), we’ve put together a mini-menu of SOA-themed treats.
RELATED: Zombie-Inspired Recipes to Make For Your ‘Walking Dead’ Viewing Party
First, there’s a cocktail created just for PEOPLE by mixologist (and serious SoA fan) Lawrence Long, who runs the bar at The Whisper Restaurant & Lounge at The Grove in Los Angeles.
“The story is all about Jax, and his struggle with his two families, his actual blood family and his chosen family, the gang,” says Long, who also happens to hail from Central California, where the show is set. “This struggle has always been a bitter and bloody one, that leaves a sour taste in his mouth, as well as the viewers. I wanted to incorporate those things, figuratively, into the drink.”
The Teller’s Tale
2 oz. bourbon
2 oz. tomato juice
1 oz. lemon juice
½ oz. simple syrup
⅛ oz. egg white
2 slices jalapeño
½ oz. vermouth
3 dashes Angostura bitters
1. In a mixing tin, muddle the jalapeño and the simple syrup together.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and shake vigorously without ice. Add ice and shake for 10 to 12 seconds. Strain into a chilled glass without ice and drop two more stripes of bitters on the foam at the top.
RELATED: Cocktails Inspired by The Hunger Games
To pair with your whiskey, we suggest these incredibly detailed cookies from Massachusetts bakery Cakes by Erin. Diehard fans will be happy to know that these treats also have the SoA cast’s stamp of approval.
As owner Erin Erler tells PEOPLE, “This whole thing started as a joke last Christmas. We are all fans of the show and we had some left over gingerbread cookies from the holiday. Renee Terry [our manager] took a few of the cookies and decorated them to look like Jax, Chibbs, Tig, Bobby and Juice,” she said. They Tweeted them out to the cast and the rest is history.
“We were contacted [this past September] by the head makeup artist on Sons of Anarchy, Tracey Anderson, who ordered over three dozen to give to the cast. She called us when she received them and told us how thrilled the guys were to have those cookies and how excited they got over them. Some even asked how they can preserve them to keep,” she says.
Here’s a thrilled-looking Charlie Hunnam with his gingerbread twin:
Finally, in honor of the show’s ice-cream-parlor-turned-headquarters—and because handheld, easy-to-eat snacks are best suited to action-packed dramas like SoA—we have a delicious brownie ice cream sandwich. And if you are hosting a series finale watch party, you can easily prep these before your gang comes over.
Here’s what you’ll need for this simple dessert: Brownies (your favorite recipe or boxed mix), ice cream, a two-ounce–size ice cream scoop, a large knife, a ziplock bag, some sheets of parchment paper, and a plastic dish.
1. Put the baked brownies in a plastic bag and store in freezer for a couple of hours. Once they’re nice and hard, cut the brownie in half diagonally.
2. Position each half on its cut edge, and cut both pieces in half again. Arrange the pieces open-faced on a plastic dish. Place one 2 oz. scoop of ice cream on two of the open-face halves, and use your fingers to gently spread the ice cream into position to cover the entire half. Don’t push down, or the brownie will break. Gently place the remaining 2 brownie pieces on top of the ice cream, barely pushing down to secure.
3. Immediately put the sandwich halves in the freezer to harden for at least another hour or so. Once frozen, wrap the two halves together in parchment, and either store them in the freezer or serve immediately.
RELATED: Curtis Stone’s Dessert Inspiration: Watching ‘Orange Is the New Black’
This embed is invalid