Make the 'Sweet and Salty' Recipe Scarlett Johansson Loves from Her Paris Popcorn Shop
"Everything is better when it's smothered in Nutella—especially popcorn," the actress tells PEOPLE
“I think the hazelnut flavor of the chocolate and the nutty flavor popcorn are a perfect compliment,” the Sing star tells PEOPLE of the recipe she shares in this week’s issue, on stands now. “Everything is better when it’s smothered in Nutella—especially popcorn.”
Johansson opened the gourmet shop last October with her French ex-husband, Romain Dauriac. Though the two have been split since the summer, they remain partners in the new business venture, with Dauriac’s sister serving as the manager.
The actress works with chef Will Horowitz from Ducks Eatery and Harry and Ida’s in New York City to develop new and seasonal flavors, while staples like sea salt and olive oil and real Vermont cheddar remain on the menu.
“My hope is for Yummy Pop to become a Parisian snacking staple and a symbol of friendship between my two most beloved cities, Paris and New York,” she said in a statement before the opening.
For this chocolatey version, Johansson has a trick to heighten the flavor even more: “I sprinkle mine with a little sea salt for some sweet and salty goodness,” she says.
WATCH THIS: This Bacon Fat Popcorn Hack Will Revolutionize Your Movie Nights
For more exclusive recipes from your favorite stars and chefs, follow People Food on Facebook.
Scarlett Johansson’s Salted Caramel & Chocolate Hazelnut Popcorn
¾ cup light brown sugar
½ cup unsalted butter
¼ cup light corn syrup
½ tbsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ tsp. baking soda
¾ cup hazelnut-chocolate spread
10 cups popped popcorn
1. Preheat oven to 250º. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Combine brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, salt, vanilla and baking soda in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture is boiling and thickens slightly, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and whisk in hazelnut-chocolate spread.
3. Place popcorn in a very large bowl. Gradually add caramel mixture, stirring gently, until popcorn is evenly coated.
4. Spread popcorn evenly on prepared baking sheets. Bake in preheated oven, stirring occasionally, until mixture begins to harden, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven, and let stand until hardened and crisp, 5 to 10 minutes.
Active time: 30 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- Ben Affleck and Ana de Armas Spend First Thanksgiving Together: They're 'Very Happy,' Source Says
- Patrick Duffy Explains the Appeal of Lifetime Christmas Movies: 'Love Always Wins at the End'
- Vanessa Lachey and Ryan McPartlin Share an Almost-Kiss in Once Upon a Main Street Sneak Peek
- The Moment This Summer When Barack Obama Felt (Almost) Like He Was a Normal Person Again