Sarah Michelle Gellar's Pretzel 'Bones' Recipe
Sarah Michelle Gellar’s Pretzel ‘Bones’
1 tsp. sugar
1 tbsp. active dry yeast
2½ cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp. salt
1 tbsp. baking soda
Coarse salt, for sprinkling
1. Mix sugar, yeast and 1 cup warm water in a small bowl; stir to combine. Allow yeast to become foamy, about 5 minutes.
2. In a small bowl combine the flour and salt. Transfer yeast mixture to the bowl of a mixer fitted with a dough hook (or use your hands to mix). With the mixer on medium low, gradually add the flour mixture. Mix until the dough is soft and no longer sticky. Add more flour if the dough is too sticky.
3. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rest for about 1 hour or until it doubles in size.
4. Preheat oven to 450°, and lightly grease two cookie sheets. In a medium bowl combine ½ cup warm water and baking soda.
5. Once the dough has doubled, cut it into 16 even pieces, then form them into simple bone shapes (see left for instructions).
6. Dip pretzel bones into the baking soda-water, and place on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt, and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes: 16 bones
Prep time: 30 minutes, plus rising
Cook time: 15 minutes