Robert Irvine's Apple Rhubarb Scones
Make Robert Irvine's scones recipe.
Robert Irvine’s Apple Rhubarb Scones
2½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
¾ cup cold salted butter, cut into small pieces
1 large egg
2/3 cup, plus 2 tbsp. heavy cream, divided
¾ tsp. almond extract, divided
1 cup ½ -in. peeled rhubarb pieces
½ cup sliced almonds, toasted
2 cups thinly sliced apples
2 tsp. light-brown sugar
1 cup whipped cream or store-bought clotted cream, optional
¾ cup, plus 2 tbsp. powdered sugar, divided
1. Prepare the scones: Preheat oven to 425°. Sift together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl. Add the cold butter pieces, and mix gently with a pastry cutter until crumbly. Whisk together egg, 2/3 cup heavy cream and ¼ tsp. almond extract in a small bowl. Add to flour mixture, and gently stir until it comes together to make a dough. Turn dough out onto a well-floured work surface, and, using your hands, fold in rhubarb and sliced almonds, being careful not to overwork the dough.
2. Flatten dough into a disk about 1½ in. thick. Cut out 16 scones with a 2½-in. round cutter, and place 2 in. apart on a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 11 minutes. Cool on baking sheet on a wire rack.
3. Prepare the filling: Stir together apple slices and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Let stand for 10 minutes.
4. Split the scones horizontally, and place bottom halves on a platter. Top bottom halves of scones with whipped cream or clotted cream, if desired. Add an even layer of apple mixture; cover with top halves of scones.
5. Prepare the glaze: Whisk together ¾ cup powdered sugar, remaining 2 tbsp. heavy cream and ½ tsp. almond extract in a bowl until smooth. Sprinkle scones with remaining 2 tbsp. powdered sugar, and drizzle generously with glaze.
Makes: 16 scones
Active time: 35 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes