Pumpkin Pie in a Mini Pumpkin Recipe
Celebrity Caterer Carla Ruben‘s Pumpkin Pie in a Mini Pumpkin
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbsp. granulated sugar
½ tsp. salt
1 stick very cold butter, diced
2 tbsp. ice water
¾ tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. ground ginger
½ tsp. ground cloves
1 15-oz. can pumpkin puree
1 12-oz. can evaporated milk
1. For the pastry, place the flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Pulse a few times to combine. Add the butter and pulse 12 to 15 times, or until the butter is the size of peas. With the motor running, add the ice water all at once through the feed tube. Keep hitting the pulse button to combine, but stop the machine just before the dough becomes a solid mass. Turn the dough onto a well-floured board and form into a disk. Wrap with plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
3. Flour a rolling pin and roll the pastry into a circle slightly larger than the top of the pumpkin. Cut with a fluted cutter and keep cold while you make the filling.
4. Mix sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk.
5. Cut the top off of a small pumpkin and use a spoon to scoop out the inside. Pour the pumpkin pie batter into the mini pumpkin leaving a half an inch at the top. Place the pie dough circle on the top of the pumpkin and pinch around the top to seal.
6. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350°F; bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate.