Nadiya Hussain's Wellington Sausage Rolls
The Great British Baking Show champ and author of Nadiya's Kitchen shares her 'guilty-pleasure' recipe
The Great British Baking Show champ and author of Nadiya’s Kitchen shares her ‘guilty pleasure’ recipe.
Nadiya Hussain’s Wellington Sausage Rolls
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
3½ oz. mushrooms, finely chopped
6 large beef sausages, casings removed and discarded
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. hot sauce
1 tsp. fine sea salt
½ tsp. black pepper
All-purpose flour, for dusting
1 lb. store-bought puff pastry
¼ cup whole-grain mustard
1 medium egg, beaten
Flaky sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring often, until mushrooms are soft and moisture has evaporated, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; cool completely, about 20 minutes.
2. Add sausage, Worcestershire, hot sauce, fine sea salt and pepper to mushrooms; mix well. Set aside.
3. Lightly dust a work surface with flour. Roll pastry into a 14×10-inch rectangle. Cut evenly into 3 long, thin rectangles. Brush pastry evenly with mustard, leaving a ½-inch border. Brush edges evenly with egg.
4. Place sausage mixture evenly down center of each pastry rectangle. Roll up each pastry to encase filling, and brush seam with egg. Place on work surface seam side down; brush pastry with remaining egg. Sprinkle evenly with flaky sea salt.
5. Cut each roll into 8 pieces. Place rolls seam side down on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake until golden and a meat thermometer inserted in center of filling registers 165°, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve hot.
Makes: 24 rolls
Active time: 45 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 35 minutes
Tip! Make them ahead: Freeze the unbaked rolls in an airtight container for up to 1 month. When ready to bake, add 5 to 7 minutes to the cooking time.