Lauren Conrad's Lightened-Up Chicken Pot Pie Recipe Is What We Want for Dinner Tonight
The designer, 30, took fans on a step-by-step process of making the pie on her Instagram Story on Tuesday. The dish includes a heavy dose of veggies while swapping the usual heavy cream with a small amount of lower calorie almond milk to lighten up the classic. But fear not: She made sure to keep the pie crust buttery and delicious.
The lifestyle guru’s all-white kitchen is certainly enviable, and she makes cooking look simple (and totally doable). Conrad’s recipe can be put into one large casserole dish or split into two pies — which she chose to do – making this a recipe to feed a crowd or last you all week for lunch.
Lauren Conrad’s Chicken Pot Pie
Makes two 8-in. pies or one large pie
1 ¼ cup flour
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
8 tsp. butter
4 tbsp. ice water
3 cups broccoli, chopped
3 cups carrots, chopped
2 cups celery, chopped
1 ½ cups onion, chopped
2 cups potatoes, chopped
1 cooked chicken, shredded
5 cups chicken broth
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/3 cup almond milk
Palm of all-purpose flour
Salt and pepper, to taste
WATCH THIS: How to Make a Lattice Pie Topping
1. Preheat oven to 425°. Pulse the salt, sugar and flour in a food processor. Cut butter into pieces and add to food processor one at a time then add ice water.
2. Form dough from the food processor into a disc shape, wrap it in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge to rest.
3. In a large pot, add broth, carrots and potatoes and bring to a boil.
4. In a small skillet, sauté onion in olive oil over medium-high. Add flour, stir and remove from heat.
5. To the pot, add cooked onions, broccoli, celery and almond milk, one by one.
6. Simmer until mixture is thick and then add chicken, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
7. Pour mixture into a large casserole dish or two pie dishes.
8. Roll out dough and secure on top of pie. Cut four one-inch slits in middle of the pie and bake for 25 minutes. Serve.