With rumors of a pending avocado shortage looming, we’re craving the creamy green fruit more than ever.
Luckily a “guacapocalypse” is a long shot, so we’ll be making plenty of the avocado-topped flatbread that supermodel Karlie Kloss recently posted to Instagram.
“Snack attack! I love adding avocado and chili flakes to any dish,” she wrote.
We agree! And so do some other stunning starlets: Avocado toast is also a favorite snack of fellow beauties Ivanka Trump and Gwyneth Paltrow (whose recipe in It’s All Good also calls for a sprinkling of crushed red pepper flakes).
But Kloss’ version is so loaded with good-for-you ingredients that the “flatbread” is actually a grain-free blend of shredded cauliflower, carrots and kale — the perfect guilt-free lunch (which means you’ll still have room for her Karlie’s Kookies for dessert).
Below, Kloss shares her recipe with PEOPLE. Add whatever colorful toppings you fancy, and it’s a model meal.
Grain-Free Cauliflower, Carrot and Kale Flatbread
1 head cauliflower, shredded
1 cup shredded kale
1 cup shredded carrot
1 tsp. kosher salt
4 tbsp. coconut flour
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. dried oregano
5 egg whites
1 cup baby portabella mushrooms
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 yellow or red onion, diced
5 slices avocado
Red pepper flakes, to taste
1 cup cauliflower, chopped
Hummus, to taste
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix cauliflower, kale and carrots. Sprinkle with salt and let sit for 15 minutes.
3. After 15 minutes, squeeze out excess water from the veggie mix. Add coconut flour, eggs and oregano and knead mixture to form a dough.
4. Place dough on a large piece of parchment paper or non-stick cooking foil, and cover with another piece. Roll out to about ½-inch thick.
5. Keeping the parchment paper on top and bottom, move dough onto a baking sheet on the middle rack, about 20 minutes.
6. Remove the flatbread from the oven and add the toppings. Return to oven for 5-8 minutes. Serve immediately.