Lisa Lillien is the author of the popular Hungry Girl website and email newsletter, featuring smart, funny advice on guilt-free eating. She is also the author of ten books, six of which debuted at number one on the New York Times Best Sellers list. Read her PEOPLE.com blog every Monday for slimmed-down celebrity recipes and more.
Mornings are a constant battle between sleep and everything else you need to do. You should get up and exercise before work, but you need sleep. You should also give yourself time to get ready without rushing, but you also need to sleep. And you really ought to get up early enough to prepare a wholesome breakfast, but wait! – you can do that the night before.
Check out this amazing egg casserole, packed with veggies and yummy Mediterranean flavor. With tons of fiber and protein (so filling!), you’ll be well fueled for the day. Just set it up before you head to bed, and it’ll be hot ‘n ready by the time you wake up. Oh look, you just bought yourself another snooze cycle.
‘Til next time… Chew the right thing!
Slow-Cooker Greek Egg Casserole
4 cups roughly chopped cauliflower
2 cups frozen shredded hash browns
¾ cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
4 cups chopped spinach leaves
¾ cup chopped red onion
⅓ cup bagged sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), chopped
2 ½ cups (about 20 large) egg whites or fat-free liquid egg substitute
½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. onion powder
½ tsp. oregano
¼ tsp. each salt and black pepper
¼ cup sliced black or kalamata olives
1. Pulse cauliflower in a blender until reduced to rice-sized pieces, working in batches as needed.
2. Fully line a slow cooker with heavy-duty aluminum foil, draping excess foil over the sides. (You’ll use the draped foil to lift out the cooked casserole.) Spray with nonstick spray.
3. Place frozen hash browns in a layer in the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Evenly top with spinach, cauliflower rice, onion, and sun-dried tomatoes.
4. In a large bowl, whisk egg whites/substitute with seasonings. Evenly pour over the contents of the slow cooker.
5. Cover and cook on high for 3 – 4 hours or on low for 7 – 8 hours, until egg has set and veggies have softened.
6. Turn off heat, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and olives. Cover, and let sit for 5 minutes, or until cheese has softened.
7. Using the foil, lift casserole out of the slow cooker, and slice.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 3 – 4 hours or 7 – 8 hours, plus 5 minutes
Nutritional Information: ⅙ th of recipe: 170 calories, 2.5g total fat (1.5g sat fat), 607mg sodium, 17.5g carbs, 4g fiber, 5g sugars, 17g protein