Lisa Lillien is the author of the popular Hungry Girl website and email newsletter, featuring smart, funny advice on guilt-free eating.
She is also the author of eight Hungry Girl cookbooks, five of which debuted at number one on the New York Times Best Sellers list. Read her PEOPLE.com blog every Monday for slimmed-down celebrity recipes and more.
Reality time: I’m not here to say I know pizza better than chef Michael White. The owner of N.Y.C pizzeria Nicoletta (in addition to numerous Italian eateries around the world) clearly knows his way around a pizza pie. His restaurants have earned Michelin stars.
But if you’re looking to enjoy a pizza without busting a button on your jeans, you’ve come to the right woman. I took the recipe for Mike’s [premium title=”Pizza Carbonara” url=”https://www.people.com/people/premium/celebfood/recipe/0,,20711053,00.html”] and swapped in lighter ingredients so you can enjoy similar flavors and stick to your New Year’s resolutions at the same time.
The key items here? A high-fiber pita “crust”, the perfect blend of low-fat cheeses and precooked crumbled bacon (which is surprisingly low in fat). As for the egg—that’s too good to mess with! And there’s no need to, since the rest of the ingredients are in the guilt-free zone.
‘Til next time… Chew the right thing!
HG’s Egg ‘n Bacon Pizza
1 stick light string cheese
¼ cup light or low-fat ricotta cheese
1 tsp. reduced-fat Parmesan cheese topping
Salt and black pepper, optional
1 high-fiber pita
1 large egg
1 tbsp. precooked real crumbled bacon
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
2. Break string cheese into thirds and place in a blender or food processor, blending at high speed until shredded. (Or pull cheese into shreds and roughly chop.)
3. In a small bowl, mix ricotta cheese, shredded string cheese and Parmesan. If you like, season with salt and pepper.
4. Lay pita on the baking sheet and spread with cheese mixture, leaving a ½-inch border. Bake until hot and lightly browned at the edges, 10-12 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, heat a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray over medium heat. Add egg and cook per your preference (we like it over-medium, about 2 minutes).
6. When pizza is out of the oven, sprinkle with bacon and top with the egg. Enjoy!
Entire recipe (1 serving): 353 calories, 13.5g fat, 903mg sodium, 34g carbs, 6.5g fiber, 4g sugars, 29g protein