Lisa Lillien is the author of the popular Hungry Girl website and email newsletter, featuring smart, funny advice on guilt-free eating. She is also the author of eleven books, six of which debuted at number one on the New York Times Best Sellers list. Read her PEOPLE.com blog every Monday for slimmed-down celebrity recipes and more.
Oh, bread pudding — why must you contain so many calories?!
Good news for lovers of this sweet treat: I have a healthy portion-controlled version that’ll knock your socks off. This recipe is packed with cinnamon and raisins, making it perfect for mornings.
If you always grab the cinnamon-raisin bagel from the break room, this is a much better alternative. Hello, protein! Bonus: You can make it in the microwave in minutes.
WATCH THIS: How to Make Five-Minute Caprese Garlic Flatbread
Made-in-a-Mug Bread Pudding for One
Makes: 1 serving
¼ cup (about 2 large) egg whites or fat-free liquid egg substitute
¼ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 packet no-calorie sweetener
¾ tsp. vanilla extract
½ tsp. cinnamon
2 slices light bread
1 ½ tsp. light butter or light buttery spread
1 tbsp. raisins, chopped
2 tsp. powdered sugar
1. Spray a microwave-safe mug with nonstick spray. Add egg whites/substitute, almond milk, sweetener, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt. Mix thoroughly.
2. Spread bread with butter. Cut into 1-inch pieces.
3. Add bread pieces to the mug, and gently stir to coat.
4. Fold in chopped raisins. Microwave for 1 minute.
5. Gently stir. Microwave for 1 minute, or until set.
6. In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar with 1/2 tsp. water. Mix well. Drizzle over bread pudding.
Active time: 5 minutes
Total time: 5 minutes or less
Nutritional information: 224 calories, 4g total fat (0.5g sat fat), 552mg sodium, 34g carbs, 6g fiber, 14.5g sugars, 12.5g protein
’Til next time… Chew the right thing!