Lisa Lillien is the author of the popular Hungry Girl website and email newsletter, featuring smart, funny advice on guilt-free eating. She is also the author of ten books, six of which debuted at number one on the New York Times Best Sellers list. Read her PEOPLE.com blog every Monday for slimmed-down celebrity recipes and more.
Honesty time, Valentine’s Day can turn into a high-pressure situation – gifts, flowers, chocolates, a romantic home-cooked dinner. And no special dinner-for-two is complete without dessert!
However, nobody wants to say to their sweetie, “OK, you sit tight, I’m gonna go make dessert. Back in an hour!” That’s why this recipe is perfect! Just cook two little cakes in the microwave in minutes, and then you’re back to quality time. Even better? This dessert won’t leave you uncomfortably full at the end of the meal. It’s as light as it is delicious!
P.S. If you’re single and spending the evening with a gal pal, this dessert works for that, too.
‘Til next time… Chew the right thing!
Hungry Girl’s Pineapple Upside-Down Mug Cakes
2 tsp. light whipped butter or light buttery spread
1 tbsp. brown sugar (not packed)
2 pineapple rings packed in juice, drained
2 maraschino cherries
¼ cup + 2 tbsp. moist-style yellow cake mix
2 tbsp. egg whites or fat-free liquid egg substitute
2 tbsp. fat-free plain Greek yogurt
¼ tsp. baking powder
1. Spray two microwave-safe mugs with nonstick spray. Place butter in one mug, and microwave for 10 seconds, or until melted. Add brown sugar and mix well.
2. Divide butter mixture between the mugs, evenly coating the bottoms. Blot pineapple rings and cherries to remove any excess moisture. Lay a ring in each mug, and place a cherry in the center.
3. In a medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Add ¼ cup water, and whisk until uniform.
4. Evenly distribute cake mixture between the two mugs. Microwave for 2 minutes, or until set. Immediately run a knife along the edges of each mug to help separate the cake from the mug.
5. Firmly place a plate over each mug, and carefully flip so that the plate is on the bottom. Gently shake mug to release cake. Let cool completely, about 15 minutes.
Prep time: 10 minutes, plus cooling
Cook time: 5 minutes
½ of recipe (1 cake): 201 calories, 3g total fat (1g sat fat), 343mg sodium, 39g carbs, 1g fiber, 26g sugars, 4g protein