Guy Fieri's Cheddar Bacon Burger
Grilling up this ultra-decadent burger at your next cookout just might make you the next mayor of Flavortown
To take this ultrarich burger (inspired by the ones he makes in his book Guy Fieri Family Food) even further into Flavortown, the Food Network star says to pile on crunchy vegetable toppings: “It’s all about the texture, acidity and cold, contrasting flavors.”
GUY FIERI’S CHEDDAR BACON BURGER
1 garlic bulb
1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided
3/8 tsp. black pepper, divided
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1¾ lb. lean ground beef (80/20), divided into 4 even balls
8 cheddar cheese slices
4 brioche hamburger buns
1 kosher dill pickle, thinly sliced
¼ cup thinly sliced sweet onion
8 applewood-smoked bacon slices, cooked until crisp
1 large tomato, thinly sliced
½ head iceberg lettuce, finely shredded
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cut about ½ inch off the top of the garlic bulb to expose the tips of the cloves. Place garlic on aluminum foil; drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Wrap foil around garlic to create a tight pouch. Place on a baking sheet. Roast until very tender, 35 to 40 minutes. Unwrap garlic, and cool 20 minutes.
2. Squeeze garlic pulp from skins; discard skins. Finely chop pulp, and smash with the side of a knife until smooth. Stir together pulp, butter, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper until combined. Place 3 tablespoons of mixture in a small microwavable bowl; microwave until melted, about 30 seconds. Set aside. (Reserve remaining butter mixture in an airtight container in refrigerator for another use.)
3. Place a 12-inch cast-iron skillet directly on grill grates. Preheat grill to medium high. Sprinkle beef balls with remaining 1 tablespoon salt. Working in batches, place 2 balls in hot skillet 3 to 4 inches apart. Cook, rolling occasionally to develop a crust on all sides, 1 minute and 30 seconds. Using a spatula, carefully flatten each burger to ½-inch thickness. Cook 3 to 4 minutes. Turn burgers, and cook 3 minutes. Place 2 cheese slices on each burger. Cover burgers with a metal mixing bowl; quickly lift 1 side of bowl, and add 1 tablespoon water to skillet. Cover burgers with bowl; heat until cheese melts, about 30 seconds. Move burgers to a platter. Repeat with remaining beef balls, cheese, and water.
4. Brush cut sides of buns with roasted garlic butter. Place buns in skillet. Cook until golden and crisp, about 45 seconds per side.
5. Place burgers on bottom buns and top with pickles, onions, 2 slices bacon, tomato, lettuce and condiments of your choice (Fieri loves his Donkey Sauce, recipe here). Cover with top buns, and serve.
Active time: 35 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
For more awesome summer entertaining tips, pick up the latest special issue of PEOPLE, on stands now.