Viola Davis' Story About Meryl Streep and Apple Pie Is Both Terrifying and Amazing
Before Meryl Streep gave her fiery Lifetime Achievement Award acceptance speech at the Golden Globes on Sunday night, Viola Davis gave an introduction that offered a glimpse into her personality — by way of pie.
“That’s the first thing you notice about her: She tilts her head back with that sly suspicious smile,” she said of Streep. “And you think, ‘Do I have something in my teeth? Or does she want to kick my ass?’ Which is not going to happen.”
The conversation, reenacted by Davis, then takes a turn to the authenticity of baked goods.
- Streep: “What’d you do last night Viola?”
- Davis: “Oh, I cooked an apple pie.”
- Streep: “Did you use Pippin apples?”
- Davis: “Pippin apples, What the hell is Pippin apples? I used Granny Smith apples.”
- Streep: “Did you make your own crust?”
- Davis: “No, I used store bought crust. That’s what I did.”
- Streep: “Then you didn’t make an apple pie, Viola.”
- Davis: “Well that’s because I spent all my time making collard greens! I make the best collard greens. I use smoked turkey, chicken stock and my special BBQ sauce. Silence. I shut her down.”
- Streep: “Well, they don’t taste right unless you use ham hocks. If you don’t use ham hocks, it doesn’t taste the same.”
If this exchange has you feeling both confused and shook, you are not alone. The good people of Twitter agreed.
- Want to win a trip to L.A.? Enter now for your chance to be at the Oscars® Red Carpet