Take 5 is a PEOPLE Food series with a mission: Get a star-worthy meal (or dessert or cocktail) on your table in either 5 minutes or using only 5 ingredients. Each recipe has been bravely tested, tasted and approved by our food editors for your eating pleasure. If you’re hungry for more recipes, we’ve got you covered.
French Onion Soup-Stuffed Patty Melts
2 large onions, thinly sliced
½ cup beef stock
1½ cups shredded gruyere cheese
1½ lbs. ground beef
8 slices thick-cut white bread
1. In a skillet over medium-low, heat 1 tbsp. butter or oil and add onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 25-30 minutes.
2. Add the beef stock and use a spoon to scrape of the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Turn heat off and let cool completely. Transfer to a bowl and mix with cheese.
3. Form the beef into 8 flat patties. Divide the onion mixture equally into the center of 4 patties. Top each with another patty then pinch firmly around the edges. Shape each patty to match the size of the bread you are using and season both sides with salt and pepper.
4. In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high, add the patties and cook until browned and cooked through, 4-5 minutes per side. Remove all but 1 tbsp. of fat from the pan.
5. Place each patty between 2 slices of bread and return to skillet. Cook until golden, 1-2 minutes per side.