Celebrity Trainer Erin Oprea: Get a Workout While Giving Out Holiday Presents
As a former U.S. Marine, Erin Oprea is dedicated to fitness. Now a Nashville-based personal trainer with clients like Carrie Underwood, she uses her expertise to help those with busy lives stay fit. Visit her site or follow her on Twitter @erinoprea. Then come back to PEOPLE.com every Monday to master a new workout move.
When you want to give a gift with flair and poise, you need some serious practice to get it right.
That’s why I’ve developed this technique that combines a lunge with a twist to honor the person you have brought a present for. Used primarily during holidays, birthdays and anniversaries, this can also be utilized for state dinners and kid birthday parties (on account of having to get really low to hand a child a gift).
RELATED: Master This Move: Spiderman Push-Ups from Celebrity Trainer Erin Oprea
But just in case you’ve been generous in your gift giving, I recommend practicing with a 6 to 10 lb. medicine ball.
Gift Delivery Exercise (Lunge with Core Twist)
1. Step your left leg back with your arms extended straight in front of you, cradling the medicine ball or dumbbell. This is your starting position.
2. Perform a lunge by dropping your back knee straight down just before hitting the ground, keeping your arms extended forward.
3. Now, while holding the down position, rotate to the right as far as you can go without bending your elbows. Keep your core engaged the whole time, this is your stability.
4. Rotate back to center, then drive through your front heel as you stand back up to the starting position.
5. Repeat this maneuver 10-15 times before switching the placement of your feet and rotating to the left for another 10-15 repetitions.
6. Do this whole sequence 3-4 times to get yourself truly practiced at benevolent gift giving!
RELATED: Master this Move: Sumo Squat Side Hop from Celebrity Trainer Erin Oprea
This embed is invalid