Emeril Lagasse’s Smoked Sausage and Corn Bread Stuffing
This southern dressing ‘tastes so distinctively delicious,’ says the chef
2 tbsp. plus ½ tsp. salt, divided
1 tbsp. plus ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper, divided
1 tbsp. plus ¼ tsp. cayenne, divided
2½ tbsp. paprika
2 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. onion powder
1 tbsp. dried oregano
1 tbsp. dried thyme
¼ cup olive oil
1 lb. andouille sausage or other smoked sausage, chopped
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped scallions
½ cup chopped celery
½ cup chopped green bell pepper
1–1½ tbsp. minced garlic
6½ cups corn bread, crumbled
5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
6 tbsp. melted butter
1. Preheat the oven to 425°.
2. To prepare creole seasoning, combine 2 tbsp. salt, 1 tbsp. black pepper, 1 tbsp. cayenne and next 5 ingredients, stirring until well-blended.
3. To prepare dressing, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the sausage. Cook, stirring as needed until browned, about 3 minutes. Add onion, scallions, celery, bell pepper and garlic, and cook 5 minutes longer until the vegetables have softened. Remove from heat.
4. Add the crumbled corn bread to a large bowl. Stir in the sausage mixture, 1 tbsp. creole seasoning, ½ tsp. salt, ¼ tsp. black pepper, ¼ tsp. cayenne and chicken broth. Mix thoroughly.
5. Brush a 12-in. skillet or casserole dish with some of the melted butter. Drizzle the remaining butter over the corn bread mixture and stir to combine. Transfer the mixture to the skillet and bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes, stirring and scraping the bottom with a wooden spoon to keep it from sticking, every 20 minutes, until browned on top. Garnish with chopped scallions, if desired, and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Serves: 8 to 10
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 40 minutes, plus 10 to 15 minutes rest time