Duff Goldman's Mexican 5-Layer Dip
The host of Kids Baking Championship and star of the upcoming Food Network show Buddy vs. Duff puts an “elevated twist” on the crowd-friendly dish
Duff Goldman’s Mexican 5-Layer Dip
¼ cup lime juice (from 2 limes)
¼ cup orange juice (from 1 orange)
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. cayenne pepper
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 (1½-lb.) skirt steak
1 (15.5-oz.) can refried beans
1 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
4 oz. Castelvetrano olives, pitted and sliced (about 1 cup)
4 oz. aged white cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
10 (5-in.) corn tortillas (cut into 6 triangles each)
1. Combine lime juice, orange juice, cilantro, chili powder, salt, cayenne and garlic in a large ziplock bag. Add steak; seal tightly. Chill overnight in the refrigerator.
2. Heat a grill pan over high. Remove steak from marinade, wiping excess from meat with a paper towel. Discard marinade. Place steak on oiled grill pan, and grill until medium rare, edges become crispy and a thermometer inserted in the middle registers 135°, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Remove steak from grill pan, and let rest 10 minutes. Cut off crispy edges; chop crispy pieces, and set aside. Cut remaining steak into ¼-inch cubes.
3. To assemble the dip, spread beans on the bottom of an 8×8-inch pan or dish; evenly layer steak pieces, crème fraîche and sliced olives over beans, and top with a layer of cheese. Top with chopped crispy steak pieces. Serve dip at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate up to 2 days.
4. Pour 1 inch vegetable oil into a frying pan, and heat over medium-high to 350°.
5. Fry chips in 2 batches until very lightly golden, 3 or 4 minutes per batch, stirring occasionally to make sure they don’t stick. They will still look pale initially but will brown as they dry. (Don’t cook them until they’re the nice softly browned color you want, or you’ll risk overcooking them!) Drain chips on a plate lined with paper towels.
6. While chips are still hot and slicked with oil, sprinkle with salt. Serve with dip.
Active time: 30 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes plus overnight chilling time