Duff Goldman's Chocolate Almond Baklava Recipe
The chef and cohost of Food Network's Kids Baking Championship puts a seductive spin on the Greek pastry
Duff Goldman’s Chocolate Almond Baklava
The chef and cohost of Food Network’s Kids Baking Championship puts a seductive spin on the Greek pastry
2 cups unsalted butter, melted
10 (18×14-in.) frozen phyllo pastry sheets, thawed and cut in half crosswise
2 cups plus 2 tbsp. heavy cream, divided
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1½ tbsp. light corn syrup 1 lb. plus 3 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped, divided
1¼ cup chopped roasted almonds, divided
3 oz. milk chocolate, chopped
3 oz. white chocolate, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Brush 2 (13×9×2-inch) baking pans with some of the melted butter. Place 1 phyllo pastry sheet half in each pan, and brush lightly with melted butter. Repeat process until both pans have 10 layers of pastry each. Brush tops with remaining melted butter.
2. Trim edges of dough to fit pan; cut each pastry sheet stack into 15 squares. Bake until golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes.
3. For the filling, stir together 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream, room temperature butter and corn syrup in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
4. Place 1 pound bittersweet chocolate in the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Pour hot cream mixture over chocolate; let stand 60 seconds. Beat on medium-high speed until mixture is light and almost fluffy, 12 to 15 minutes; gently fold in ¾ cup chopped almonds.
5. For the ganache topping, place remaining heavy cream in a saucepan, and bring to a simmer over medium heat, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Place milk chocolate, white chocolate and remaining bittersweet chocolate in 3 separate small bowls. Pour hot cream evenly over the chocolates; let stand 60 seconds. Gently whisk each until smooth and shiny.
6. To assemble, place baked phyllo squares on serving dishes. Spoon ¼ cup chocolate nut filling onto each square. Top each with another baked phyllo square. Drizzle evenly with the ganache. Sprinkle with almonds.
Active time: 40 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
Kids Baking Championship airs Mondays at 8 p.m. ET/PT on Food Network.