Drew Barrymore's Halibut Milanese
Drew Barrymore’s Halibut Milanese
1 box (8 oz. container) cherry tomatoes, halved
½ red onion, thinly sliced
1 bunch arugula
¼ cup plus 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 (4-6 oz.) halibut steak fillets
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup panko bread crumbs
2 tbsp. butter
1. In a medium bowl, toss the tomatoes, onions and arugula leaves. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together ¼ cup olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. Place a halibut fillet between two sheets of plastic wrap. Using a meat mallet or rolling pin, gently pound to ½-in. thickness. Repeat with second fillet.
4. Remove fillets from the plastic wrap. Dip each piece in the beaten egg wash, then coat with the bread crumbs.
5. In a large skillet or frying pan, melt the butter and 1 tbsp. olive oil. When the pan is hot, add the fillets and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Remove from heat.
6. Place one fillet on each plate, and top with a generous helping of salad. Mix the reserved balsamic dressing before pouring, and drizzle on top. Serve immediately.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes